An important message from the Canada Tibet Committee:
As the world has witnessed the atrocities and repression being systematically carried out by Chinese military authorities against peaceful demonstrations in Tibet, more and more of you have asked how you can help and what you can do.
Our efforts in the coming days will be focused on a series of critical actions in support of Tibet:
1. Events planned in your local community
Please join the numerous vigils and rallies being planned across Canada. These events are posted at www.tibet.ca
as soon as we learn of them from organizers.
2. Call your MP and the Prime Minister
Please ask your MP and the government to support the following two actions:
a. The Canada Tibet Committee is asking that the Canadian government to support the Dalai Lama's call for a United Nations team of investigators to visit Tibet as soon as possible.
b. All political leaders and other prominent persons who have accepted an invitation to attend the Olympic Games should withdraw their acceptance.
You can write, fax or email the Prime Minister at:
Rt. Hon. Stephen Harper
Office of the Prime Minister
80 Wellington Street
For the coordinates of your local MP, consult:
3. Call, fax or email the Chinese embassy in Ottawa
Please express your concerns directly to the Chinese embassy and raise the following two issues:
a. With a media black-out in Lhasa, verifiable information will become even harder to come by. Two Canadian journalists have been detained in Xiahe, and others turned away from areas outside the ‘Tibet Autonomous Region’, despite China having issued new regulations that were intended to allow free movement by foreign journalists in this Olympics year.
Demand that China allow foreign journalists back into all Tibetan areas (TAR and Tibetan areas of Gansu, Qinghai and Sichuan).
b. Express your support of the Dalai Lama’s request for an independent U.N. team to investigate the situation in Tibet.
Chinese embassy coordinates
Tel: +1-613-7893434, 7910511
Fax: +1-613-7891911, 7891414
Office Hours: 09:00-12:00, 14:00-17:30, Monday-Friday (except Chinese holidays)
4. Fax Jacques Rogge, President of the International Olympic Committee
The International Tibet Support Network is speaking with a united voice, calling on the IOC to block China’s plans to carry the Olympic Torch through Tibet prior to the Games. Please add your voice to the thousands who already have by faxing or phoning Mr. Rogge at:
International Olympic Committee
Château de Vidy
Tel: (41.21) 621 61 11
Fax: (41.21) 621 62 16
5. Visit the CTC website regularly for updates and please consider joining, donating or volunteering to help Tibet
Finally, we cannot respond and support the Tibetan people without your help. Please take a moment to visit http://www.tibet.ca/en/join_donate/
and either join or donate to the CTC. And if you have time, please consider volunteering as well by sending an email to email@example.com
6. Sign the petition
- China's leaders are right now making a crucial choice between escalating brutality or dialogue that could determine the future of Tibet, and China. We can affect this historic choice -- China does care about its international reputation. But it will take an avalanche of global people power to get the government's attention. The Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, has called for restraint and dialogue: he needs the world's people to support him. Fill out the form below and click to sign the petition--and spread the word! http://www.avaaz.org/en/
With best wishes and courage,
Executive Director, Canada Tibet Committee
PS: And please forward this email to your friends and colleagues