For immediate release
August 6, 2008
Rights groups to gather at Chinese Embassy on eve of Olympics
OTTAWA -- A coalition of human rights groups from Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa will rally at the Chinese embassy on August 7, hours before the opening ceremonies of the Beijing summer Olympics. The Human Dignity Event will draw attention to China's failure to meet important human rights commitments it made when it bid to host the 2008 games.
International human rights activist and former Miss World Canada Nazanin Afshin-Jam is a featured speaker.
What: Human Dignity Rally
When: Thursday, August 7, 2008 12:00 noon - 1:00 pm
Where: Embassy of the People's Republic of China, 515 St. Patrick St. (across the street)
- Nazanin Afshin-Jam (international human rights activist, former Miss World Canada)
- Canada Tibet Committee
- Canadian Friends of Burma
- Committee to Investigate the Persecution of Falun Gong
- Hon. Irwin Cotler, M.P.
- Darfurian Community of Ottawa
- Falun Gong
- Federation for a Democratic China (Canada)
- Former Secretary of State for the Asia-Pacific David Kilgour
- Reporters without Borders
- Thubten Samdup (Founding President of the Canada Tibet Committee)
- South Sudan-Canada Association
- Taiwan-Canada association
- Uyghur-Canadian community
- Vietnamese Federation of Canada
Some street parking is available on Old St. Patrick St.
The Canada Tibet Committee is an independent non-governmental organisation of Tibetans and non-Tibetans living in Canada, who are concerned about the continuing human rights violations and lack of democratic freedom in Tibet.
- 30 -
For more information: