Join our Mailing List

"Canada can, within a positive friendly atmosphere, ask the Chinese government to resolve the Tibetan situation."

Climate of fear as Olympic Torch Arrives in Lhasa

June 23, 2008

Tibet government emphasizes political education to ensure 'stability'
for 'sacred flame'
New images of Tibet crackdown
International Campaign for Tibet (ICT) Report
June 21, 2008

As the Olympic torch relay approaches Lhasa, the Tibetan plateau
remains sealed off, and thousands of Tibetans are unaccounted for
following the crackdown since March 10. There is an intense climate
of fear across Tibet. Severe restrictions have been put into place in
Lhasa over the past two weeks, and there is new evidence of the
torture of many of those detained. Tibetans who attempt to send
information outside the country are in danger of arrest and
imprisonment following the most significant uprising against Chinese
rule in more than half a century, which began with protests by monks
in Lhasa and Qinghai on March 10, the 49th anniversary of Tibetan
National Uprising Day. Mobile phones have been seized and internet
connections blocked.

The authorities have emphasized the importance of "patriotic
education" in the buildup to Olympics, saying that it is essential to
ensure "security and stability" during the progress of the "sacred
Olympic flame". People's Armed Police troops have been sent to
monasteries in the Tibet Autonomous Region (TAR), and part of their
brief is to give monks "relevant information" about the Olympics.

Despite China's attempts to impose an information blackout, this
report includes new information and eyewitness testimony on the
situation inside Tibet and the intensification of security prior to
the Olympic torch events tomorrow in Lhasa. There are fears that the
crackdown in Tibet will worsen still further following the Olympics,
when there is even less international scrutiny on the situation inside.

Mary Beth Markey, Vice President of Advocacy of the International
Campaign for Tibet, said: "As we begin to uncover more facts about
the situation in Tibet - the intensity of the crackdown, the extent
of patriotic education and the use of torture - we see how determined
the Chinese government authorities are to suppress the true
sentiments of the Tibetan people and press on with their Olympic show
in Lhasa. We are most concerned about the consequences for the
detained and disappeared, and call for urgent international scrutiny
not only now, but also post-Olympics, when the dangers to Tibetans
will arguably increase."

ICT is calling upon the Chinese government to:

* End the violent crackdown in Tibet;
* Provide access to all Tibetan areas for independent observers as a
matter of urgency;
* Honor the Chinese Constitution's commitment to the freedoms of
speech and association, and not treat peaceful protest as a crime.
Diplomats and other international observers should be allowed access
to the trials of Tibetans charged with protest-related crimes;
* Grant due process to all others who have been taken into custody,
and to offer access to independent counsel and to relatives;
* Withdraw security forces from monasteries, and end the "patriotic
education" campaign, which has created a cycle of new dissent and
only risks provoking further protests.
* ICT has also called upon the International Olympic Committee (IOC)
to use its authority and influence to ensure access without
restrictions to media in the buildup to the arrival of the Olympic
torch in Lhasa. In a June 18 letter to Mr Christophe De Kepper, Chief
of Staff of the IOC, ICT's President John Ackerly said: "Can we
assume that the IOC is comfortable with taking the torch through an
area that is under de facto martial law and closed to the outside
world? ... The IOC has a responsibility to press the Chinese
government to allow access to foreign media during any leg of the
torch relay, or any other Olympic event, without burdensome
restrictions. ... The IOC's apparent failure to stand up for Olympic
values ... could place the IOC as a seemingly willing accomplice to
the Chinese government's tactics surrounding the torch relay in
Tibet. It also cast a shadow over this IOC, because it reinforces the
perception that this torch belongs to the Chinese government and not
to the world."

This ICT report, published on the eve of the arrival of the Olympic
torch to Lhasa includes the following:

* Preliminary analysis of incidents of dissent in Tibet since March;
* New images of a monastery surrounded by troops in eastern Tibet;
* Previously unpublished pictures of the main prison where political
prisoners are held in Qushui (Tibetan: Chushur) in Lhasa, where
Tibetan prisoners have suffered increasingly severe treatment since
the protests began;
* Details of an intensified climate of fear and security buildup
prior to the torch's arrival in Tibet, combined with stepped up
censorship and efforts by the authorities to present the situation as
* How the new focus on "patriotic education" emphasizes the
importance of upholding the Party line on the Olympics;
* Reports of torture in detention of Tibetans and details of Tibetans
now in prison following the protests.
* Tibet at a turning point: summary of the dissent since March

Since the unrest began on March 10, ICT has documented 125 separate
incidents of dissent across the Tibetan plateau. Of these 125
protests, 47 have been carried out by monks, 44 by laypeople, and 28
by both monks and laypeople. The majority of protests have been in
Tibetan areas of Sichuan province, particularly in Kardze (Chinese:
Ganzi) Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture (TAP), where more than 80 nuns
have been detained in recent weeks for peaceful dissent. While the
majority of protests have been peaceful, at least 14 of the protests
are known to have involved a significant degree of violence, mainly
directed at property, such as Chinese-owned shops, banks, cars and
government buildings; although in Lhasa on March 14 Tibetan rioters
allegedly attacked and may have killed members of the security forces
and Chinese civilians.

Security forces fired on, killed and wounded unarmed demonstrators in
at least 11 separate incidents across the plateau. These protests
occurred in Lhasa on March 14; in Ngaba (Chinese: Aba) TAP in Sichuan
province on March 16; in Serthar (Chinese: Seda) county in Sichuan on
March 17, 18 and 20; in Chigdril (Chinese: Jiuzhi) county in Qinghai
province on March 17; in Drango (Chinese: Luhuo) county in Qinghai
province on March 24; in Tawu (Chinese: Daofu) county in Sichuan on
April 5; and in Jomda (Chinese: Jiangda) county in the TAR on April
8. There are conflicting reports on the events in Kardze on March 18,
and insufficient information in many other cases. On May 28, a
21-year old Tibetan student, Rinchen (or Rigden) Lhamo, was shot in
the leg after she called for the return of the Dalai Lama to Tibet
and the release of Tibetan prisoners outside the Kardze county
government headquarters.

Once the height of the protests through the second half of March had
passed, the response of the Chinese authorities was to step up
patriotic education campaigns throughout Tibet, especially in areas
where demonstrations or dissent had occurred. These campaigns,
involving denunciation of the Dalai Lama, have been ongoing, and
deeply resented, in many parts of Tibet since at least 1996, and one
of the first protests in the wave of demonstrations this year at
Ditsa Monastery in Qinghai province on March 10 seems to have begun
in response to such a campaign.

The intensification of these campaigns in the aftermath of serious
protests was accompanied by punitive searches of monasteries by
security forces (including those previously uninvolved in protest),
arrests of monks and others for possession of photos of the Dalai
Lama and the requirement for individuals to sign statements
confessing involvement in the protests. In many cases, heads of
monasteries have had to guarantee that no further demonstrations will
take place and even agree to fly the Chinese flag, which has provoked
further ill-feeling and unrest in some places. Laypeople are also
being targeted in this new round of patriotic education with demands
that they denounce the Dalai Lama and pledge loyalty to the Chinese
Communist Party (CCP).

The first known case of renewed protest sparked by patriotic
education work teams entering monasteries was at Nangshik in Ngaba
TAP in Sichuan on March 18, just two days after the major protest at
nearby Kirti monastery that led to the shooting of unarmed
protestors. (See: Monks, nomads protest as demonstrations spread
across entire Tibetan Plateau, ICT, March 19, 2008.) Further examples
of such protests have been reported in places including Sakya
(Chinese: Sajia) county in the TAR on March 19; in Nyarong, (Chinese:
Xinlong) county in Kardze TAP on March 29; in Sog (Chinese: Suo) and
Biru counties in the TAR, also on March 29; in Jomda (Chinese:
Jiangda) county (in Sibda) in the TAR on March 14; in Yulgen (at
Tsang Gon) and Nyakchuka on April 15; in Lhasa (Nechung) on April 19;
in Dege (Chinese: Derge) county (in Dzakok) in Kardze on April 28;
and in Markham county (at Khenpalung Gon) in Sichuan on May 12.

Several protests were conceived as expressions of sympathy for those
killed in the uprising and appeals for clemency. In most cases they
were staged by nuns, monks, school children or students.

Severe restrictions for Saga Dawa as Olympic flame approaches:
disappearances continue in Lhasa

Reports received by ICT indicate stringent restrictions in Lhasa, a
city already under crackdown, in the buildup to the arrival of the
Olympic torch. These same restrictions were also in place at the
beginning of the important Tibetan religious festival of Saga Dawa
from June 4, which the authorities may have feared might be a
flashpoint for further protest. Informers and police in plain clothes
were visible on the streets during Saga Dawa, often disguised as
beggars and pilgrims, in addition to uniformed personnel.
Schoolchildren were warned that they should discourage their families
from carrying out traditional pilgrimages at this time. A Tibetan
source told ICT: "Teachers at one kindergarten told children that
they would be expelled if their relatives attended ceremonies for Saga Dawa."

No foreign tourists or unescorted media are currently permitted to
enter the TAR. A group of China-based international correspondents
are arriving in Lhasa today (June 20) for a two-day visit that will
be tightly controlled by the authorities.

A Tibetan source now in exile told ICT: "In the buildup to the
arrival of the Olympic torch, people are under even greater scrutiny
than before and are frightened. They are stockpiling dry foods in
their homes because some expect even more protests, and more of a crackdown."

In a further example of the intense level of security in the buildup
to the arrival of the Olympic torch, a state media report stated that
"In order to perform a good job of sacred Olympic torch security work
and to create measures for convenient customs clearance, emergency
coordination systems have been established". ('Raise safety
awareness, broaden scope of inspection', June 17, 2008, The same report states: "During this time,
100% of tourist luggage shall be inspected; on the basis of risk
analysis, 100% of imported goods which conform to the standards of
the analysis shall be inspected. At the same time, strengthen the
scope of clearance, and focus on the implementation of monitoring and

The government has stepped up propaganda efforts in order to present
an image that Lhasa is "back to normal" prior to the arrival of the
Olympic torch. One Tibetan source said: "The Chinese authorities will
ensure that people's shops are open and that Tibetans are doing the
kora [the religious ritual of circumambulation around the Jokhang
temple in the Barkor] on the days the foreign reporters will be in
Lhasa." Despite the heavy restrictions in place, the Party also
attempted to convey a scene of normality when TAR Party Secretary
Zhang Qingli was shown in the Barkhor on Xizang (Tibet) TV last week.
In the background, Tibetans could be seen circumambulating the Jokhang.

On an "inspection tour" of six monasteries in Lhasa, reported in the
Chinese media on June 5, Zhang Qingli was shown assessing the
"patriotic education and political situation at Sera, Drepung,
Ramoche, Potala and Jokhang temples" (Xizang TV). Zhang Qingli was
quoted as saying "In order to attain our goal of political education
in the monasteries, we have built up a suitable political environment
in order to clean up influences of the 'Dalai Clique' and crack down
on his supporters. The political education program in the monasteries
is one of the most important programs of the TAR government and the
central government has been paying great attention to this too.
Anyone who tries to disturb our campaigns must be punished right away
and decisively, in order to establish a proper foundation for the
long term peaceful political environment in the monasteries."

A recent report in China's state media directly linked the patriotic
education campaign with ensuring "security and stability" during the
Olympics, and stated that "patriotic education" in one monastery in
Lhundrub (Chinese: Linzhou) county in the TAR included passing onto
monks "relevant knowledge" about the Olympics.

The report stated: "In order to create a peaceful and harmonious
Lhundrub and to ensure security and stability during the period of
the Olympic sacred flame torch relay and the Olympics, Lhundrub
county People's Armed Police has demanded that People's Armed Police
leaders in all townships vigorously carry out patriotic education in
monasteries under their jurisdiction, and that monks at monasteries
study the 'Regulations on Religious Affairs', that the state's laws
and regulations as well as the Party's nationality policies and
religion policies and regulations are propagandized to the monks,
that the great developments in Tibet's society and relevant knowledge
about the Olympics are propagandized, making use of available and
typical examples to educate the broad masses of monks and nuns in
order to strengthen their patriotic sentiment and their understanding
of the law, and to make them conscientiously uphold the unification
of the motherland and oppose ethnic splittism." ('Linzhou county
rolls out patriotic education in monasteries', June 18, 2008,

The information blackout in Lhasa and throughout Tibetan areas is
stringently imposed with the confiscation of mobile phones and
blocking of internet connections. ICT has received reports of Tibetan
families who have received immediate visits from security personnel
after taking phone calls from family or friends in exile. In one
case, a young Tibetan woman was beaten so severely in an act of
reprisal for taking a call that she had to be hospitalized.

A Tibetan source told ICT: "All communication lines are bugged. Skype
messages are stored somewhere for future use. Any deleted file can be
recovered on the same PC."

Another Tibetan source, who is now in exile, gave ICT the following
account of the atmosphere in Lhasa: "Roundups of Tibetans happens at
night, usually around two o'clock in the morning. Every one is so
petrified, whether they took part in any of the protests in March or
not. When house to house searches began [after March 14], Tibetans
had such a hard time hiding their secret pictures of His Holiness the
Dalai Lama. There are grim tales of the dead and arrests. Family
members of those missing went from prison to prison searching for
their loved ones. Many are still missing. One friend of mine saw a
truck escorted by two police cars, one in the front, one in the back.
When they looked closely, they saw that it appeared to be carrying
the body of at least one monk. They could see the monks' robes.

"Everyone knew the significance of March 10 as a date. Even before
that date, intensified restrictions had been evident, because the
authorities knew it too. People were aware and expected something to
happen because His Holiness is getting more popular around the world
and also because it is Olympic year."

According to a separate source, Tibetans who have been released after
a period in detention are severely affected: "[Many of] those
released are facing serious physical injuries or mental disorders."
The same source said that several local Tibetan policemen who had
complained of excessive torture and aggressive interrogation tactics
had disappeared, although this could not be confirmed.

'Sometimes they even report our dreams': new images of Chushur (Qushui) Prison

The images of Qushui (Tibetan: Chushur) Prison in Lhasa, at:, are the first to
be published since it started to become used as the main detention
facility for political and other prisoners from summer 2005. The
prison, described by Beijing as Qushui prison, is in a rural area
south-west of Lhasa and although there has been a detention facility
there since the 1960s, it was not known to foreign observers until
2006. Since the protests broke out in March, political prisoners at
Chushur have been singled out for particularly harsh treatment,
according to a report from a Tibetan source. When unrest occurs,
political detainees and former political prisoners, often come under
suspicion and are singled out for reprisals. It is not known whether
any prisoners sentenced after involvement in the March protests in
Lhasa are serving their sentences in Chushur, although it is likely.

Conditions at the high security facility at Chushur are known to be
more stringent for political prisoners even than Drapchi prison in
the western suburbs of Lhasa, where most political prisoners were
held before their transfer to Chushur in 2005.

A political prisoner who is familiar with the new prison told ICT:
"On the outside the prison looks very modern and many of the
facilities are new. But inside it is very tough and hard for
prisoners, even compared to Drapchi prison." A second former
political prisoner at Chushur told ICT that the "interrogation and
torture all the political prisoners receive is definitely worse than
in Drapchi." Commenting on security measures, the former prisoner,
interviewed in exile in India, said: "In every political prisoner's
cell there are two criminal prisoners, one Chinese and one Tibetan,
to watch what the political prisoners are doing and talking about.
Every week those two criminal prisoners would attend a meeting with
the prison authorities and would report what they saw and heard in
the cell. ... Sometimes they would even report our dreams, as we
might have said something relating to a political event."

Reports about Chushur prison have been emerging from Tibetans who
have escaped into exile since 2004. It is referred to by local people
as 'a prison near Drolma Lhakhang', a temple on the main road leading
south from Lhasa towards Tibet's second city, Shigatse (Chinese:
Rikaze), and its technical name is believed to be 'Nidang zhuang wa
chang' in Chinese, or Nyethang (Chinese: Nidang) Brick and Tile
Factory. The site is thought to have been used from the 1960s for
housing prisoners who were used to make bricks and tiles. The prison
is located in a rural area 120 km south-west of Lhasa in Chushur
county, near Nyethang off of the main road leading to Shigatse.

The same Tibetan former prisoner, who was one of the first group of
prisoners moved to Chushur after it opened in 2005, reported the
prison cells as having a video camera in each corner of the room,
with an audio recording device in the middle.

The United Nations Special Rapporteur on Torture, Dr Manfred Nowak,
visited Chushur during a tour of prison facilities in November and
December 2005. During his time in the TAR, officials initially failed
to make Chushur prison known to Nowak, until he was told that most of
the prisoners he wished to interview at Drapchi had been transferred there.

According to a report that followed Nowak's trip, officials informed
the Special Rapporteur that the prison was for "serious criminals"
(i.e. those serving over 15 years) and maintained a male prison
population of over 300. ICT later received reports that prisoners
serving much shorter sentences were being held in Chushur.

Since March, many Tibetans rounded up in raids on homes or
monasteries have been taken to detention facilities outside Lhasa. A
source reported seeing hundreds of Tibetans, including many monks,
being herded onto a train by armed police at Lhasa station bound for
Qinghai. In an apparent further incidence of detained Tibetans being
removed from Lhasa, around 300 prisoners arrived at the train station
in Xining, Qinghai, in early April, according to Tibetan sources, who
told ICT: "Every prisoner seemed to be hurt badly and some had blood
on their faces. There was an old lady in the group with heavy
shackles on her feet, and no shoes. She was being beaten by the police."

Some Tibetans detained after March 14 are known to have been released
- some are believed to have been detained while they were shopping
for groceries, while others appear to have been detained simply for
being found or living in Tibetan areas of Lhasa. A Tibetan writer
reported that at one point more than 800 people were locked up in a
large warehouse area at Lhasa railway station where many of them were
beaten severely and deprived of food.

ICT has received further reliable reports of Tibetans being taken
from Lhasa to detention facilities in Sichuan. A young monk who was
detained in Lhasa for having no identity card was taken to a local
detention center and beaten severely every day over a period of
several days, according to one report. "Four men beat him at the same
time, each time," ICT's source reported. "During the torture, he had
no comprehension of night and day. With one arm up over behind the
neck and the other under and behind the back, they tied his wrists
together behind his back. The food at the prison consisted of one
small bread roll per person and about 20 ounces of water that was
shared between four to five people. People were sleeping in the area
where they went to the toilet and they were not allowed to wear
shoes." The source said that he was later taken to Mianyang Prison in
Sichuan, and was released later due to fears that he might die if he
remained without medical attention. He can now hardly walk or talk
and his breathing is labored. The same source said that there were
many Tibetans from Lhasa in the same prison.

Images reveal arrival of troops and security lockdown at Tibetan
monastery as new patriotic education campaign begins

Dramatic images at
show armed troops arriving at Tsendrok monastery in Mayma township,
Machu (Chinese: Maqu) county in Gansu Province on the morning of
April 18. A Tibetan source told ICT that the large military convoy
from Lanzhou (North West Military Division), of approximately 27
vehicles, arrived at the monastery without any warning. The source,
who said that there were hundreds of armed personnel in the vehicles,
added: "The soldiers barged into the monastery, conducted random
searches, and broke down doors, windows, and other objects." They
cooked food for themselves from the monastery's supplies, and when
they left that evening, took with them a number of valuable and
precious religious artefacts, according to the same source, a Tibetan
in exile with connections in the area. The monastery has reportedly
filed a complaint based on the confiscation of the artefacts. Similar
searches - for items of political significance such as Dalai Lama
pictures - took place in other monasteries in the area at around the
same time. This is one of several reports received by ICT of
religious artefacts being seized and taken away by troops from
monasteries - it has also reportedly happened in Tongkor (Chinese:
Huangyuan) county in Qinghai and Labrang (Chinese: Xiahe) in Gansu
province. There are indications that these are actions not
necessarily sanctioned by higher officials.

Another Tibetan source told ICT: "The personal possessions of monks
as well as objects like small statues and antique china bowls have
been stolen by police during raids on several monasteries. There is
evidence that these actions are by local security forces taking the
law into their own hands." The looting of monasteries during raids
also occurred during the crackdown in the late 1980s in Lhasa.

According to reports circulating in the area, local Tibetans are
disturbed by other actions of security personnel now entrenched in
Machu - in particular, news has reached ICT of soldiers or armed
police shooting and eating Tibetan mastiff dogs, and also taking cash
from monasteries where patriotic education is being enforced.

A stringent campaign of patriotic education has begun recently in the
monasteries of the nomadic area of Machu county, where a major
protest against Chinese rule occurred on March 16. There are nine
monasteries in this area, mostly with small populations of monks, and
many of them were involved in the protests in March. More than 100
personnel were sent into the area to implement patriotic education in
the monasteries after the protests broke out in March, and there was
a particular emphasis - as with other campaigns across Tibet - on
denunciations of the Dalai Lama.

A Tibetan source in exile with connections in Machu told ICT:
"Tibetan Buddhist monks were advised to learn about Communist Party
rule rather than about Buddhism." The same source quoted a monk from
the area saying: "What is happening in the monasteries now with
regard to patriotic education is a real disaster for monks, we are
trying to practice our religion but it is hardly possible." The same
report said that some monks were leaving the monasteries in response
to the campaign. The patriotic education campaign is also being
extended to laypeople in Machu.

Prior to the visit of an escorted group of foreign journalists to two
monasteries in Machu on April 10 (See: Monks reveal concerns about
Chinese allegations on weapons caches, views on Olympics, ICT, April
16, 2008, a group
of provincial level officials headed by the Sichuan propaganda chief
visited the area. According to a report from a Tibetan in exile with
connections in the area, monks were given precise directions as to
how to react when the reporters asked them questions. ICT has
obtained information about the directions given to monks by the
propaganda officials, who said: "If you are asked about your opinion
on the Dalai Lama you should respond by saying that you oppose a free
Tibet and will always oppose activities aimed at separating the
country." The monks were also advised to say that they accepted the
Chinese recognized Panchen Lama, Gyaltsen Norbu, and not the boy
recognized by the Dalai Lama, Gendun Choekyi Nyima, who is in Chinese custody.

On the day the press arrived, monks were made to give prayers in the
main hall of the monasteries and army personnel were stationed out of
sight. According to the same report, "Police officers were given
Tibetan laypeople's clothes and asked to circumambulate the monastery
holding prayer beads."

According to various reports received by ICT, the situation in the
area is still very tense with hundreds of soldiers deployed in Machu.
Many detainees in Machu and other Tibetan areas are being released
upon payment of a fine since the protests in March. These fines are
often substantial and sometimes beyond the means of families or
monks. On occasion, monasteries have paid fines for monks who are
detained. Thirty six monks from one monastery in Machu were released
upon payment of a large fine of 10,000 yuan ($1,453) each. The fine
imposed was initially 15,000 yuan ($2,180) for some monks but it was
negotiated down. In the initial security sweep following the Machu
protest on March 16, hundreds of Tibetans were taken into custody,
but according to two reports received from the area, most have now
been released, often after torture. One Tibetan in exile with
connections in the area told ICT: "It seems that some are coming out
of prison with injuries that are not always visible. I have heard
several accounts of people being beaten very severely and electric
shock prods used on the genitals of both men and women."

Just over a week ago, a notice was posted on the gate of the
government headquarters of Machu town, naming several Tibetans in the
local police force. According to a source, the poster stated that its
writer understood that Chinese police were beating Tibetans because
they had been involved in a struggle against the Tibetans since the
invasion [in 1949-50]. But the notice added that the author could not
understand why the named Tibetans were collaborating with them and
inflicting such pain on fellow Tibetans. The individuals named were
believed to be those who had been involved in inflicting torture on
Tibetan detainees over the past few months. Police in the area are
apparently not permitted to take any leave at present.

An account by a Tibetan of torture during detention following March 14 in Lhasa

A young Tibetan man sent some details to a friend in exile of his
brief period in detention after a house to house search on March 18.
The Tibetan, whose name is not known to ICT, said that on March 18,
armed soldiers broke down the doors to his family's home, ransacked
the property, and beat members of his family, who appear to have been
suspected of involvement in the protests. The Tibetan's account is
consistent with other accounts of detention following the protest
obtained by ICT. He said: "I was arrested and they took me with them,
tied my thumbs behind my back, very tightly, so that this whole area
has been numb for the last two or three months [all of his left
thumb]. ... At first I thought that they were going to kill me, they
hit my head a lot, and heads are easy to break, it's not like the
rest of the body. They took me to prison, for four days they didn't
ask me anything, they just threw us here. They gave us half a steamed
bun a day, that's very small. They didn't provide any water. Everyone
was very thirsty and a lot of people drank their urine. We had no
clothes, no blankets, nothing to lie down on, nothing (just cement
floors) and it was very cold. For four days nobody spoke to us, they
just left us there.

"We heard a lot of things. Many people had arms or legs broken or
gunshot wounds but they weren't taken to hospital. They were there
with us. It was really terrible. I can't believe that we are in the
21st century. For instance, one boy who was shot four [only three
bullet wounds are described] times, one from here to there [the
bullet entered from the left side of his back and exited from the
left side of his chest, near his heart], one from here to here [from
inner left elbow to inner left wrist], and one here [a horizontal
wound on his upper right arm]. Some people had their ribs broken. One
man was punched in his [right] eye, and it was all swollen and black
and blue, very bad. People had their teeth broken, these are just
examples. A lot of terrible things were done.

"One of the problems is that people have no food, they are very
hungry, they are just falling over [collapsing]. One boy fell into
the toilet, all in the same room, and he was cut right across his
face [under his chin along the jaw]. A lot of people have
psychological problems, and they're the first to collapse. A boy from
[a town in Tibet], he has a problem of the "heart", a psychological
problem, and he was very thin. At first he fell two or three times
every day but they didn't care. ... Some monks had sacks put over
their heads and they were taken away and didn't come back, so maybe
they were killed.

"I met an old man, 65 years old, who had ribs broken and he was all
bent over and he couldn't stand up straight, he was dying, so the
police took him to People's Hospital, where one or two people die
every day. The people who are taken to hospital are usually people
who have been shot or beaten, and they usually die there."

The account continued: "Many questions were asked of people who are
not guilty of anything, they are just Tibetans. There are many
counties in Tibet, they call the police from each county, and the
people from the counties aren't in Lhasa so they show them that the
prisons are empty, but they were taken to all kinds of places,
because in Lhasa there are so many people watching so they keep
everyone away. Now the monks from [a monastery in Tibet], friends and
relatives, we don't know where they are. I want to write but there
are guards everywhere. ...You know that they say that there are no
soldiers in Lhasa, but they're in civilian dress and they check
identity papers.

There are a lot of high school students from [a town in Tibet]. A
17-year-old who had not participated in the events of the 14th [of
March], all his clothes were taken away, they tied his hands and they
pushed a wagon at him until he fell, there are all kinds of torture
methods. This kid was very young and he didn't even do anything.
Afterwards he said that he'd done all kinds of things, that happens
to a lot of people, they pressure people to admit things they never
did. I met a monk from [a monastery in Tibet] before I was released
[in April]. I am very worried about the monks. The soldiers regard
the monks as something very different, because a monk from [a county
in Tibet], his finger was bent over [shows a completely bent finger]
and he'd been blinded in one eye, he couldn't see out of it at all,
he was beaten more than us but luckily. ... Really I can't understand
why they do terrible things to monks, very, very painful."

The Tibetan's account confirms other information received by ICT that
torture of monks is particularly severe. The Tibetan, who has now
been released, said: "I want to study more at home every day but I
can't. When I watch TV, everything is lies, so it pains my heart and
it's very bad. So I walk in the streets and I see the soldiers asking
me for my identity papers, they look at my card and ask me, 'When
were you born?' and if there's the smallest mistake you're finished.
They check the picture and your face, but a Chinese person can pass
right by [without identity papers], that's okay.

"When I was in prison, a Tibetan policeman told me 'Kneel down
here!', I had my thumbs tied behind my back. He sat down [on a chair
in front of me], put his foot on my head and kicked my forehead with
his foot, pushed my head back and slapped my face over and over
again, and I saw this man and I was very sad. He's Tibetan and now I
see him every day, I've seen him many times [since then], he's here
at the station. A lot of Chinese and Tibetans jumped on my back and
kicked me and beat me over the head, they twisted my head back so I
couldn't see their faces, but to show me your face and to do those
bad things - that's the worst thing.

"This is just an experience, I could learn a lot from it. In prison
sometimes I dreamed about food and I remembered the food we cook at
home, my mother and my sister's cooking and I could smell it, and
then I really appreciated how tasty the food is at home. I usually
eat everything and then I say 'That wasn't so good,' and now I've
learnt that it's very, very good. These are the worst things that
I've ever seen in my life, but you learn how to be a good person.
Sometimes, when my sister's children are here, and they don't do
their schoolwork, I yell at them and hit them. But now if I yell at
them it pains me sometimes. I've learned a lot.

"I'm worried about the small Tibetan population. Many people are
dying today or being crippled with broken arms and legs, and that's
very bad. And people are in prison, like me, and I think about the
people in prison all the time. I think about the terrible state they
are in. Young people, 16 or 17 years old, crying all the time - it
makes me really sad. I saw people with broken limbs and people who'd
been shot - seeing their pale faces is very, very sad."

This report can be found online at

Press contact:
Kate Saunders
Communications Director, ICT
Tel: +44 7947 138612
CTC National Office 1425 René-Lévesque Blvd West, 3rd Floor, Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3G 1T7
T: (514) 487-0665
Developed by plank