Join our Mailing List

"Canada can, within a positive friendly atmosphere, ask the Chinese government to resolve the Tibetan situation."


August 11, 2008

Agam's Gecko Blog
August 8, 2008

As seen in the earlier-posted video, it's the summer horse festival
season in Tibet. And what would any Tibetan festival be without
Chinese Communist Party interference? Chinese authorities last month
ordered all township and village officials to prepare a festive
spectacle in Nangchen County, Jyekundo Prefecture (Ch: Qinghai), in
honour of the Beijing Olympics.

The plan was announced about two months ago, and compulsory
participation in the official program was required from each family
in the county. Besides the customary competitions, songs and dances
were to be prepared. All song lyrics were fully scrutinized before
the rehearsal date of July 24 to ensure there were no "bereavement"
or "separation" sentiments expressed, and no hidden praise for
spiritual teachers. This unyielding enforcement caused great
displeasure among the forced festival participants.

A few days before the five day festival was to begin, that
displeasure was openly expressed.

On 26 July 2008, just three days before the actual commencement of
the Summer festival, four Tibetans from Nangchen County – Asang
Bersatsang, 21 years old, Ngoesoe Konkyaptsang, 35 years old, Jamsang
and Gadho (age unknown) shouted slogans in the presence of a large
number of local government officials and people at the site of the
planned summer festival in Drokshog Township where people were
setting up tents and making preparation for the festival.

The four voiced their disapproval of the summer festival to greet the
Olympic Games by saying, "this is not the year to celebrate as
Tibetans have suffered untold repression under the Chinese regime,
rather it is time to mourn and offer prayers (for those died and
imprisoned in recent protests across Tibet)," "we want freedom" and
"the Dalai Lama should return to Tibet". After their protest, while
distributing pamphlets, the four requested Tibetans at the festival
site to return to their respective villages.

According to the source, Tibetans who have gathered for the festival
preparation at Drokshog Township packed up their tents and gears in
solidarity with the protesters leaving only the government tents at
the festival ground. The Chinese authorities' planned summer festival
at Drokshog Township in Nangchen County, to greet the upcoming
Beijing Olympic Games, was not able to go off because of mass pull
out by people following protest by four Tibetans.

Later that evening, the four Tibetans were arrested by Public
Security Bureau officers and are held in detention at the Nangchen
County PSB Detention Centre. Following this, the residents of
Drokshog township wrote a letter to the county authorities calling
for their immediate release, and stating that the people will
continue to stand with the captive Tibetans until their release.

Some of the residents had believed selected performance groups would
be taken to Beijing to perform at the Olympics. But when the
authorities examined those song lyrics and found that most of the
songs were in praise of Dalai Lama and Gyalwa Karmapa, all the songs
were banned, with the result that the Tibetans packed up and left the
Chinese authorities alone on the field. This report says that the
protest letter from the residents to the authorities stated that if
the captive Tibetans were not released, they would "carry out strong
protests until no one is left in the township."

It is reported that in other Tibetan areas, the government is
compelling people to hold these festivals -- but not with their
traditional spirit of Tibetan cultural pride. They are intending to
"show" the Tibetans "celebrating" for the Beijing Olympic party. In a
new report compiled by the International Campaign for Tibet, Chinese
media (News bulletin on Xizang TV, July 22, 2008) reportedly
announced that Tibetan performers will be on hand for the opening
ceremony. The singers have been warned by a senior official in the
Tibetan "Autonomous" Region to be in good ideological form.

"All performers who are going to Beijing must have the strongest
consideration for political responsibility and must show the best
ideological form in order for the performance to be lively and
attractive... The performance must be symbolic of the great unity of
ethnic groups in the TAR and to represent the remarkable achievement
of Tibetan people under the excellent Communist Party's leaders and
their policies."

I can think of a whole lot of adjectives to describe the Communist
Party's leaders, but "excellent" isn't one of them.

The government is reportedly engaged in the creation of fake video
footage which shows peacefully resisting People's Liberation Army
soldiers facing off against violent soldiers dressed up as Buddhist
monks. This cinematic fantasy is reportedly being shot in the very
far west of the Tibetan "Autonomous" Region, in Ruthok. A similar
film project was also reported in May, from the Kardze region.

More protests have been reported from Kardze. Ngawang Tashi, 18, was
arrested sometime in June for peacefully protesting at the county
headquarters. Jampa Tashi, 24, was severely beaten when he shouted
freedom slogans on June 14, then arrested. Lobsang Tsewang, 30, held
a peaceful protest at the county office on June 19, during which he
was seriously beaten and arrested. Nyima Tashi, 18, was arrested on
June 21 for shouting slogans at the most popular protest spot in Kardze.

Sherab Gyaltsen, 36, and Nyilu, 35, were both beaten and arrested
after peacefully protesting at the Kardze County office on June 22.
Kunsang Tsering, a 22 year old monk, made a peaceful protest at the
Kardze PSB office on July 15. He was shot during his arrest -- it is
not known whether he survived. Yonten Tso, a 19 year old nun in
Kardze County, protested at the county government office on July 17.
She was severely beaten before her arrest. Dhungkar, from Tseshul
village, Serthar County, Kardze was arrested on July 15 under
suspicion of protesting in March.

Arbitrary sentences were handed out to some of those arrested for
protesting in Phenpo Lundrup County (Lhasa Municipality) in March. A
girl from Gaden Choekhor township, Tenzin Lhamo, was sentenced by the
Lhasa City People's Middle Court to 10 years imprisonment for
participating in non-violent protest. Samdup, a man from the same
locale, was sentenced to 13 years for the same reason. Three others
were sentenced to 12, 17 and 20 years, of whom only Kalden's name is
known. Two other people, Lobsang Dawa and his brother Tendar (a monk
from Ratoe Monastery) remain missing after their arrests in Lhasa.

Most of the estimated 53 nuns who were arrested in Phenpo Lundrup
County for demonstrating have now been released, but were penalized
between 2,000 - 5,000 yuan each. After their release, they were
banned from rejoining Shar Bhumpa Nunnery and sent back to their
respective home areas. Around five of the nuns remain in captivity,
and have been transferred to a prison in Lhasa. Nun Lobsang Choezin
has been moved to hospital after suffering severe injuries resulting
from her torture in custody.

A man who protested in Lhasa and has since escaped into exile (as far
as I know, the only such person) has given his account of the
crackdown at a support meeting in New Delhi. Kunsang Sonam was a
thanka (religious paintings) and second hand clothes seller in the
Tibetan capital, originally from Kham.

"There were gun shots and mass chaos while the streets were filled
with smoke. I saw people around me fall down and my friend Nyima, was
shot in the chest. A nun died in front of my eyes as did six others
during the course of the demonstrations. The Army tanks were quick to
come and clear up those who were either wounded or dead to dispose of
any physical evidence."

He managed to escape Lhasa on March 26 in a vehicle bound for the
Nepal border, crossing the Himalayan pass on foot (as thousands of
Tibetans have done, sometimes drawing gunfire from border patrols),
and made his way to Dharamsala. He has been in contact with home.

"The Chinese raided our houses and confiscated our belongings. I had
some 30-40,000 Chinese Yuan from my small business which the
officials took away. My family in my native village later told me
they had confiscated our ancestral property after they learned I had
escaped into India," he further added.

I thought the Chinese Communist Party now respected property rights.
No? Well, my mistake. That's what the patriots told me. Happy Olympics.
CTC National Office 1425 René-Lévesque Blvd West, 3rd Floor, Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3G 1T7
T: (514) 487-0665
Developed by plank