Join our Mailing List

"On my part, I remain committed to the process of dialogue. It is my firm belief that dialogue and a willingness to look with honesty and clarity at the reality of Tibet can lead us to a viable solution."

Tibet monk in hiding tells of interrogation, abuse

September 16, 2008

The Associated Press
Sunday, September 14, 2008; 11:22 AM

BEIJING -- Jigme, a Tibetan Buddhist monk, says he had just finished 
having a pair of shoes mended when four uniformed guards jumped from a 
white van and dragged him inside.

Suppressing his calls to a passing nun for help, they shoved a sack 
over his head and drove him to a guesthouse run by the local 
paramilitary People's Armed Police.

What followed, according to Jigme, was two months of interrogation and 
abuse over his suspected role in this spring's uprising against 
Chinese rule across Tibet and a broad swath of Tibetan-inhabited 
regions in western China.

His telephone interview with The Associated Press on Friday gives one 
of the few detailed first-person accounts of the crackdown on the 
riots and protests that continue six months after the events.

Chinese authorities contacted by phone said they had no information 
about Jigme's case, making his claims impossible to verify.

But the basic facts of his story correspond with testimony given by 
monks and nuns detained in previous campaigns and widely reported by 
credible overseas human rights groups.

While Beijing says an unspecified number of people have been detained 
following the protests, it has given no details about their treatment.

Jigme has also posted a video account of his ordeals on

The 42-year-old monk, who like many Tibetans uses just one name, said 
he took no part in the sometimes violent protests that followed deadly 
rioting in Tibet's capital of Lhasa on March 14.

Many Tibetans consider themselves a separate nation from China, whose 
communist forces occupied the region in 1951, and have long chafed 
under Chinese rule.

Jigme said he suspects he was targeted by authorities for speaking to 
foreign media and overseas rights groups, the apparent basis for the 
charge of "illegally providing intelligence" brought against him.

Jigme said he was detained on March 21 and questioned for two days at 
the People's Armed Police guesthouse in the Gansu province town of 
Xiahe that surrounds the Labrang monastery complex where he lives. He 
was then driven with others to a prison in the nearby town of Linxia 
where he says conditions were extremely harsh.

"They demanded to know if I was a leader of the protest and what 
contact I had with the Dalai Lama," the exiled Tibetan spiritual 
leader, Jigme told the AP by phone Friday from what he described only 
as a "safe place" near Labrang.

"They hung me up by my hands and beat me hard all over with their 
fists," he said. Similar treatment was meted out to other Tibetan 
prisoners, while family members were refused permission to bring them 
additional food and warm clothing, he said.

Jigme said he was hospitalized twice. The second time, after lying 
unconscious for six days and apparently on the verge of death from 
internal injuries, he was handed over to his family, who took him to 
another hospital where he recovered after 20 days of treatment and 
rest, Jigme said.

He said he received a conditional medical release under which his case 
remains unresolved.

Following his recovery in late May, Jigme said he returned to Labrang, 
where he is a member of the Gyuto Dratsang, or Upper Tantric College, 
one of the monastery's six institutes of learning.

He said outraged monks told of police raids on their quarters in which 
188 were briefly detained on suspicion of taking part in the March 
rioting. All but nine were released two days later. The others, who 
admitted taking part in the protests, were released after a few weeks.

"They were really angry. They were forced out of their beds in the 
middle of the night, their living quarters searched and property 
stolen, and no explanation was ever given as to why," Jigme said. He 
said five other Labrang monks remain in custody over the protests and 
20 others were in hiding.

Jigme said political indoctrination campaigns had intensified at 
Labrang, with monks forced to attend twice-weekly "patriotic 
education" classes where they are told to shun all contact with the 
Dalai Lama and his followers, who are accused by China of fomenting 
the spring protests. The Dalai Lama has denied the claims and 
condemned the violence.

A police officer contacted by phone in Xiahe, who gave only his 
surname, Liu, said he had no information about Jigme's case. Officials 
at the Communist Party management committee at Labrang and at the 
Linxia Detention Center also said they had no knowledge of such a case 
and refused to give their names, as is common among Chinese 
authorities not authorized to speak with the media.

Jigme said he had remained at Labrang until earlier this week when 
security agents visited his home. He said he would continue speaking 
out until detained again.

"I'm not afraid of being taken in," he said. "I have no regrets. I'm 
not guilty of anything."


On the Net:

Jigme's YouTube video (in Tibetan):
CTC National Office 1425 René-Lévesque Blvd West, 3rd Floor, Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3G 1T7
T: (514) 487-0665
Developed by plank