Join our Mailing List

"I believe that to meet the challenges of our times, human beings will have to develop a greater sense of universal responsibility. It is the foundation for world peace."

CPJ condemns China's detention of Tibetan filmmakers

October 20, 2008

Committee to Protect Journalists
October 17, 2008

New York, Oct. 17 -- The Committee to Protect Journalists condemns
the detention in western China of a filmmaker and his assistant, who
have been held for nearly seven months after taping interviews with
Tibetan residents about their lives under Chinese government rule.
Police in the western province of Qinghai arrested filmmaker Dhondup
Wangchen and assistant Jigme Gyatso, a Buddhist monk, in March, their
production company, Filming for Tibet, recently disclosed.

The arrests came shortly after they sent footage filmed in Tibet to
the production company, which is headed by a relative of Wangchen and
is based in Switzerland. A 25-minute film titled "Jigdrel," or
"Leaving Fear Behind," was produced from the footage and is available
online. The film was intended to shed light on the lives of Tibetans
in China in the run-up to the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.

Information about the arrests -- which have not been formally
acknowledged by Chinese authorities—has only recently emerged in news
reports. Kate Saunders, the U.K.-based Communications Director for
International Campaign for Tibet, told CPJ this week that her group
has confirmed the detentions. No formal charges against the two have
been publicly disclosed.

The filmmakers completed taping shortly before peaceful protest
against Chinese rule of Tibet deteriorated into riots in Lhasa and in
Tibetan areas of China in March 2008. Foreign and local media were
subject to an intense clampdown by Chinese authorities at that time.
Several international reporters were expelled from Tibetan areas
despite regulations—introduced specifically for the Olympics—that
said they could work unrestricted anywhere in China.

Those relaxed regulations expired today. A Foreign Ministry official
told reporters during a press conference Thursday that "related
arrangements" for foreign journalists would be announced soon.

"The Olympic legacy for the media in China is far from the freedom
that Beijing invited the world to imagine back in 2001," said Bob
Dietz, CPJ Asia program coordinator. "Two filmmakers are in detention
for conducting interviews in Tibet, and the legislation loosening
restrictions on foreign reporters—which was in any case ignored when
it really counted—appears to have expired."

The group Filming for Tibet was founded specifically to produce the
documentary by Gyaljong Tsetrin, who left Tibet in 2002 and maintains
contact with people there. Tsetrin told CPJ by telephone that he had
spoken to Wangchen on March 25 but lost contact the next day. He
learned of the detention only afterwards, speaking by telephone with
several people, including relatives, he said, declining to name them
because of the risk of reprisal to local sources by police.

Tsetrin told CPJ he had learned from multiple sources that Gyatso has
been arrested on March 23. He told CPJ that one source saw Gyatso in
a detention center in Linxia, known in Tibetan as Kachu, in Gansu province.

The arrests were first publicized when the documentary was launched.
Reuters reported that "Leaving Fear Behind" was released at a
screening for a small group of foreign reporters in a hotel room in
Beijing on August 6. A second viewing was interrupted by the hotel
management, Reuters said. The Reuters report and another by ABC News
said Wangchen and Gyatsu had been detained shortly after videotaping
was completed but did not provide further details.

Tsetrin unexpectedly received a call from Wangchen himself on July
13, he told CPJ. Wangchen told him by telephone from an undisclosed
location that he had been held in Ershilipu Detention Center in
Qinghai's provincial capital, Xining, before being transferred to
informal detention in Gongshang Hotel in the same city, he said. He
did not call again, according to Tsetrin, and his whereabouts were
unknown until August, when guards at the Ershilipu Detention Center
confirmed to a family member that he was once again being held there.

Tsetrin's colleague Dechen Pemba, a British Tibetan who heard about
the film while living in Beijing in early 2008 and has since assisted
Filming for Tibet in publicizing the project, provided CPJ with a
report about the detentions and biographical information about the
filmmakers by e-mail from London. The report said authorities told
Wangchen's brother-in-law on August 31 that the filmmaker was being
held at the Ershilipu detention center. Authorities would not allow
the brother-in-law to visit, the report said.

Wangchen was born in Qinghai but moved to Lhasa as a young man,
according to his biography. He had relocated with his wife, Lhamo
Tso, and four children to Dharamsala, India, before returning to
Tibet to begin filming, according to a report published this month in
the South China Morning Post. Tso told CPJ by telephone that she did
not know where her husband was being held and had not received
official notification of his detention.

"It is very difficult for Tibetans to go to Beijing and speak out
there. So that is why we decided to show the real feelings of
Tibetans inside Tibet through this film," Wangchen says in the film.
CTC National Office 1425 René-Lévesque Blvd West, 3rd Floor, Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3G 1T7
T: (514) 487-0665
Developed by plank