Join our Mailing List

"Canada can, within a positive friendly atmosphere, ask the Chinese government to resolve the Tibetan situation."

Tibetan Government Workers in Clash

October 21, 2008

Tibetan government workers are detained after a clash that injures a
Chinese soldier and policeman.
Radio Free Asia
October 20, 2008

KATHMANDU -- Tibetan government workers in China's Gansu province
have clashed with soldiers and police in an incident that seriously
injured one soldier and one police officer, according to Tibetan
sources. Eighteen Tibetans were briefly detained, they said.

The clash pointed to simmering tensions in the region since protests
against Chinese rule broke out across Tibet beginning in March.

A group of 20 young Tibetans gathered for dinner Oct. 11 in Hezuo
city in the Kanlho [in Chinese, Gannan] Tibet Autonomous Prefecture,
according to one source, speaking on condition of anonymity.

A group of police and soldiers confronted them as they left the
restaurant, he said.

"The Tibetans argued with the police and soldiers and declared that
they would not be intimidated as other Tibetans in the area had
been," the source said.

"The argument then erupted into a brawl. One policeman and one
soldier, both Chinese, were seriously injured and taken to a local hospital."

"The Chinese authorities responded by detaining 18 Tibetans," the source added.

Tibetans 'constantly harassed'

"All were government employees who worked in Hezuo, though they came
originally from other counties in Kanlho prefecture such as Chone [in
Chinese, Zhuoni], Sangchu [in Chinese, Xiahe], Machu [in Chinese,
Maqu], and Luchu [in Chinese, Luqu]."

Another Tibetan source, who also asked not to be named, gave an
identical account.

"Many policemen and soldiers are stationed in Hezuo," the source
said. "And they are constantly harassing local Tibetans who move
around the city."

"Moreover, the way the Chinese have treated Tibetans since the March
uprising in different parts of Tibet has hurt not only common
Tibetans, but also those who are employed in government departments."

Calls seeking comment from the Hezuo city Public Security Bureau went

An eyewitness to the incident gave the same account and said that all
of those detained have now been released.

"They reported back to work," he said. "I don't want to say anything
about the length of time they were detained or how much they were fined."

Original reporting by RFA's Tibetan service. Tibetan service
director: Jigme Ngapo. Translations by Karma Dorjee. Written in
English by Richard Finney. Produced and edited for the Web by Sarah
CTC National Office 1425 René-Lévesque Blvd West, 3rd Floor, Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3G 1T7
T: (514) 487-0665
Developed by plank