Join our Mailing List

"For a happier, more stable and civilized future, each of us must develop a sincere, warm-hearted feeling of brotherhood and sisterhood."

Walk for Tibet 2009 -- Day 32

April 14, 2009

Walk for Tibet 2009
April 12, 2009

Jigme and Wangchuk started walking today at 8:00
am from Conowingo State Road, Maryland, and
finished walking at 6:00 pm in Oxford, Maryland,
after covering 24 miles.   Along the route,
Jigme’s blistered feet hurt so much that he had
to stop a few times for Wangchuk to re-bandage his feet.

At 12:00 am in the morning, the "Voice of Tibet"
radio news station called from Norway and
interviewed Jigme and Wangchuk, over the phone.
Wangchuk gave a brief summary of the walk.  Jigme
and Wangchuk also sent a message of encouragement
to Tibetans inside Tibet, strongly expressing
their determination to continue raising awareness
and support for the ultimate goal, Tibetan Independence and Universal Peace.

Along the route, Jigme walked across Conowingo
Dam, which was very narrow and dangerous. When he
looked down, he saw a steep drop and water
roaring through the dam. While Jigme was crossing
the dam, a state trooper told him it is illegal
to walk on the road and ordered him to get off of
the road.  Jigme explained to him why he is
walking and gave him a flyer.  After talking to
Jigme about the walk, the State trooper shook
Jigme’s hand and told him be careful.

Jigme was climbing up a hill, he saw a young man
waiting for him. The young man saw his sign about
Tibet from distance and was very happy. He
introduced himself as a William Mitchell, a
student at Cecil College, who was on his way to
class. William said that he and his mother are
Buddhists. William offered to help Jigme.  Later
in the day, a lady was waiting for Jigme on route
US1. She introduced herself as a William’s
mother, Desiree Mitchell.  She came to meet Jigme
and offer her support for the walk.   Desiree and
William helped Jigme and Wangchuk, by arranging a
motel room for them and taking them to a
restaurant for dinner.   After a nice dinner,
Jigme and Wangchuk presented a khatag
(traditional white silk scarf) to them, in order
to express their appreciation and serve as a sign of lasting friendship.

Craig stopped along the route and walked toward
Jigme.  He was holding $10 and a cold Gatorade
drink, which he gave to Jigme.  He told Jigme
that he had seen him a few times already along
the route. He said has been watching news and
knows about the situation in Tibet. He gave Jigme
a hug and said that he strongly supports Jigme
and Wangchuk’s efforts to raise awareness about the situation in Tibet.

Susan Johnston, and her son Tyler, from Potts,
Pennsylvania, stopped to talk with Jigme. She
expressed surprise at how many miles he is
walking.  Jigme asked her if she knew anything
about Tibet.  She replied that she was very
knowledgeable about the Tibetan situation and was
sorry that Tibet had been repressed by China, for
decades. Her young son Tyler has become very in
interested in the cause for Tibetan Independence,
so he was intrigued by Jigme’s walk.  She offered
to help Jigme if needed anything.  Jigme thanked
Susan and Tyler and gave them the flyer.

After a long day of walking, Jigme collapsed into
bed, weary from exhaustion. His feet are heavily
blistered from walking so many miles.  He has
lost some of the feeling in one of his little
toes, but he is determined to persevere through the pain and complete the walk.

Jigme and Wangchuk would like to thank Desiree
Mitchell, and her son William, for arranging the
motel and for taking them to dinner.  They would
also like to thank their other supporters for
their monetary donations, refreshments, and moral support.

CTC National Office 1425 René-Lévesque Blvd West, 3rd Floor, Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3G 1T7
T: (514) 487-0665
Developed by plank