Join our Mailing List

"We Tibetans are looking for a legitimate and meaningful autonomy, an arrangement that would enable Tibetans to live within the framework of the People’s Republic of China."

Arrested marchers released; Tenzin Tsundue reported to be in weak physical condition

August 11, 2008

By Tenzin Sangmo
August 9, 2008

New Delhi, August 9 -- The 56 Tibetans who were arrested some twenty
kilometers from the Indo-Tibet border August 4 went on a hunger
strike in police custody, denying themselves both food and water.
They were released after a few of the marchers fainted while in detention.

Leading Tibetan activist Tenzin Tsundue who was released the day
after he was arrested from the Buntar Airport August 3 has been
picked up from Mandi district and held yet again at Kullu Police
Station, Himachal Pradesh.

Two other marchers, Tenzin Norsang and Lobsang, both from Dharamshala
were arrested by the Indo-Tibet border police on August 5 when they
reached the last Indian border line, Gyue, 3 kms from Tibet. They
were released two days later at Rekong Peio.

(Photo courtesy: Marchers)
"Our brothers and sisters are dying for freedom and living under
virtual martial law, with thousands imprisoned and hundreds killed by
Chinese authorities just in the last few months. We are returning to
Tibet so that we may suffer with them, and if possible, struggle
alongside them for freedom and human rights," said Shingza Rinpoche,
the leader of the group, who is also a highly decorated Lama from Amdo.

High profile activist and poet Tenzin Tsundue, refused to eat or
drink in judicial custody and had to be hospitalized on the fourth
evening of his dharna. Tsundue has now been transfered back to jail
but is reported to be doing poorly.

"Many years ago, we crossed the Himalayas to escape oppression at
home. Now we are crossing the same mountains again – but this time in
the opposite direction – to support our brethren inside Tibet in
their nonviolent struggle for survival," said Tenzin Tsundue before
his arrest, "We appeal to all governments and people of conscience to
support our decision, for it is our right as Tibetans to live in Tibet."

This was not the first attempt by Tibetans in exile to cross over
into their homeland. Many of these marchers were also part of Tibetan
People's Uprising Movement's March to Tibet that began March 10 from
Dharamsala. They were prevented by Indian authorities at Dharchula,
the last Indian township before the border.

With input from Marchers.
CTC National Office 1425 René-Lévesque Blvd West, 3rd Floor, Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3G 1T7
T: (514) 487-0665
Developed by plank